Sunday, June 28, 2009

From the Montreal Gazette:

Since the death of Michael Jackson Thursday, a Rosemont man who has been impersonating the singer locally and internationally in the past year said he feels added pressure to do honour to the singer's memory.

"I want to meet people's expectations, but I'm even more stressed about doing right by Michael Jackson now that he's gone," says Thierry Marceau.

Marceau, 29, holds a master's degree in visual arts and works independently on various projects for festivals and events. In an interview before his appearance in the Festival de Théâtre de rue de Lachine yesterday, he explained his craft as being about more than impersonations.

"Studying and assuming the character of someone like Michael Jackson is something very special and deeply important to me," he said. "I feel very close to him because I've been working on his character."

Marceau, who took part in the Jeux du Québec ceremonies as Michael Jackson this winter, said the news of his death was difficult to swallow.

"I was actually setting up for my performance (in Lachine) when the news broke," he said. "It was very weird, like a part of my family had just died. I got all kinds of phone calls and letters from friends and family asking if I was okay and how I was handling it."

Friday night was his first time performing as Michael Jackson since the singer's death. Marceau said it was a strange and difficult experience. "Before dressing as Michael, I talked to the crowd about how I was not sure how to deal with his death. I told them I'd do my best but that the meaning of the show has changed, and asked the crowd for their understanding."

Since Jackson's death, he said, he must now rethink every movement and gesture in his performance.

"I don't want anything to be comical or in bad taste at all," Marceau said. "I want it to be a happy experience for people and just a tribute to him. I have to rethink a lot of my project now - the meaning has changed."

The Rosemont resident said he is now faced with new challenges because of enhanced interest in his performance.

"I really wasn't expecting this much attention," he said. "But since he died, the media have been calling and now I have to make sure to use what happened in a good way to honour him and not for the publicity of my work, so I'm kind of in a strange position."

Marceau said that his appreciation of Jackson goes beyond being a fan. "I'm a visual artist, that's my life. Michael Jackson is the best visual artist that has ever lived. The detail in his shows, videos and costumes, it's all perfect - he was a workaholic."

The singer's death also meant the death of Marceau's dream to see Jackson in concert. He had tickets to attend one of the comeback shows beginning in London next month. While disappointed, he said that Jackson's legacy as an artist will persist.

"Michael will never die, he left us so many images and memories. He's the biggest artist in any discipline."

For now, Marceau will focus on revamping his Michael Jackson project to incorporate the singer's death, a task that he says won't be easy.

"I'll definitely have a small moment of silence before I go on stage again," Marceau said.

But as with all productions big or small, the show must go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment