Thursday, January 21, 2010

I think Josh Engwerda must have read La Carmina's book! Too cute ;)

Strawberries for a 'sweet heart'
Posted Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:01pm AEDT
Updated Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:05am AEDT

Slideshow: Photo 1 of 2

The berries are the brainchild of 22-y-o engineering graduate Josh Engwerda. (Josh Engwerda)

Video: Hearty fruit for Valentine's day (ABC News) Audio: Felicity Ogilvie talks to Josh Engwerda about his heart-shaped strawberries. (ABC News) Map: Hillwood 7252
A northern Tasmanian farm expects to harvest the world's first heart-shaped strawberries by Valentine's Day.

An engineering graduate from Melbourne, Josh Engwerda, came up with the idea to grow the berries in a heart-shaped mould.

He has teamed up with a farmer at Hillwood, north of Launceston, to grow the strawberries.

Mr Engwerda says the romantic idea just came to him while he was gardening.

"I'd seen square-shaped watermelons in Japan and then I was gardening with my strawberries and something just clicked," he said.

"I was trying to impress my girlfriend at the time, but I didn't get a chance to, unfortunately, so it was a bit of a fail."

David Warren owns the Hillwood strawberry farm and he predicts great commercial success for the heart-shaped fruit.

"I think in certain markets they'll take off, definitely around Valentines Day and things like that," he said.

"I think it'll keep a lot of girlfriends happy and we'll probably be flat out supplying them but the regular strawberries will still be popular."

No comments:

Post a Comment