Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Writing in her blog in the winter of 2009, American parenting educator and therapist Mary Jo Rapini had this to say about public displays of affection among teenagers:

Whenever I go to Italy or Spain I love to watch mothers and daughters walking down the street arm and arm. I also love to see men in a warm embrace and kissing each other as a greeting. It seems right to me and whether that is because I am Italian or just very demonstrative I believe hugging and kissing are more important than guns and bombs. However, seeing two teens groping each other in the school hall or at my friend’s home makes me feel uncomfortable. My discomfort comes from a feeling that the teens are not respecting themselves or their parents, the school rules or anyone who is in the room. I am all for passion, but I believe there is a time and place, and in front of others is not the time or place. As children grow they learn by trying new experiences. Their parents guide them, direct them and then they develop a sense of right or wrong with regard to individual behaviors. Parents (my friend included) would tell her daughter if she had chocolate on her face to go wipe it off, she would tell her it was inappropriate to talk with her mouth full, but yet when her boyfriend comes over and starts kissing her, or pulls her onto his lap the parents freeze and don’t know what to say.

She then proceeds to give parents advice on how to deal with the situation :)

No comments:

Post a Comment