Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The hookup is so much a part of the subtext on college campuses that this scenario that Mustafa is describing below happens all the time. He writes the sex column at the Daily Californian. Horrifying? Yes. Hard on women and even men? Indubitably. His premise also leads back to one of Ms. Shalit's key assertions- without the numbing effect of alcohol, many women wouldn't be able to supersede their biological drives and fully realize the dream of the sexuality-industrial complex.

That's likely why I became so fond of the whole drunk hook-up scene. It is clean and simple.

Hook-up, walk the girl back home, make some small talk about how you should hang out again, exchange numbers and then see each other randomly on Sproul a few weeks later.

Simply putting yourself out there and asking a girl out for lunch-let alone sharing your feelings-is a lot more complicated.

A strange thing has been happening to me though; over fall semester during those late-night walks back, I started getting this odd empty feeling.

You know sometimes how you'll have salad for dinner, and afterwards you don't feel completely satisfied? Well that's the feeling I'd get.

We have a saying in my house: "Do it for the story."

That motto has pushed me to do a bunch of crazy things that I was able to recount with my buddies when I woke up the next morning. (To the 40-something mom I met at the Big Game, if you're still looking for your sunglasses, I have them.)

Even though I'm still a little bummed out over this Joakim thing, I feel pretty good about it on the whole. I never viewed her as a story, but hey, in retrospect, it makes for quite the tale.

Who knows, I might start asking girls out for lunch and opening up to them instead of just jumping to the sloppiness. Whoa, let's slow down there big guy.

Something tells me there are many a story to be had this semester. I'm back, baby.

Get together with Mustafa for Sunday brunch at sex@dailycal.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment