Monday, February 1, 2010

I really liked much of this letter that the reader that wrote to Ask Amy- Amy Dickinson. Amy had a paragraph or two in reply, not all of which was positive, but did say: "chastity certainly is an appropriate and achievable goal." Here's the letter- I edited it somewhat for clarity.

Dear Amy: Recently you ran a letter from "Still Looking," who believes in saving sex for marriage.

I wish I could have saved myself for one and only one sexual partner.

I hope you hear from and print letters from couples who have this great blessing. Sex with only a lifelong spouse is one of God's most precious gifts.

Virginity is indeed a rarity in our fallen world, but that does not eliminate it as an appropriate value by which to guide our actions.

I think there have been plenty of studies showing the damage premarital sex inflicts on women, including damage to their self-esteem.

We need to encourage and support chastity as an appropriate and achievable goal, rather than dismiss it as weird and silly, which is what your answer to "Looking" implied. -- Disappointed

No comments:

Post a Comment