Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Jillian Strauss has book out that I would also like to read, called Unhooked Generation, in which she argues that "casual consumer sex" inhibits people's potential to be in healthy relationships. Here's a description of her book, from the book's website:

If this definition applies to you then you are just like me. At the age of thirty, I, like many of my male and female friends, found myself single and wondering why finding love seemed so much more difficult today than it was for our parents. I wanted to find out, if I could, why the search for love and commitment had become such an angst-ridden journey. I started by interviewing a hundred single people throughout the country. These men and women revealed intimate details about their love lives and sex lives, sharing experiences they have never revealed to friends, lovers or therapists. Through their compelling stories I discovered that it is not that we individually incapable of relationships (or that our partners are) rather, the problem is much deeper. Today, romance and commitment are a foreign land to us. We are searching for love in an uncommitted world.

Unhooked Generation is my story, the story of my peers, and of generation X, perhaps it is your story too. It is my hope that through the stories of these single men and women that you will recognize yourself and begin to understand how our generation's approach to relationships can be counterproductive. Along the way you will see terms, from "friends with benefits" to what I call the "DTR" the defining the relationship conversation, that hopefully will make you laugh and nod with recognition. I will also share the secrets of happy couples that will teach us how to side-step the landmines on the road to long-term love once and for all. Whether you are single or a in a committed relationship I hope that Unhooked Generation will help you approach your relationships differently, as it did for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment